June 7, 2009

as i was walking through the monkey grass leading up to my grandparents back door i realized how much this house has changed me, not really changed... but molded me. i grew up in this place, my brother, my 4 cousins, and me. this is where our adventures took place, this is where i had my first boo boo, where i learned the joy of music, and how to cook the most amazing foods. i had it all at this house, we had games, toys, family, and friends. and i cant believe that after all these years it hasnt changed. i walked in the house today with that same excitement, and little kid feeling as i did when i really was that little kid. there it was, the living room where all 6 kids somehow all slept in, the kitchen where grandma would make a different meal for each kid (because we were all so picky), the piano room, where i found the beauty in music, and all it had to offer, the bedrooms where we played sega, and learned how to sew, and the bathroom, where each and every kid was told not to touch... but we did anyways =] it was so much fun at that house. but as i walked through it today i had a different outlook on this house. i didnt see it as the house where all my dreams came true, i saw it as the house that in 30 years i would go back to and realize that this house was only so special because of the amazing people who lived in it. it wasnt the house at all that molded me into who i was today, it was my grandpa who showed me how to press my first key on the piano, to sing my heart out, and how to take life as it comes. it was my grandma who showed me how to make my first cupcake, how to shop like no tomorrow, and how to cherish every little thing. "these kids will never know how much we love them" my grandparents say or think this everyday. but the truth is i do realize how much they love me. i wouldnt be the person i am today without them. they taught me to love, to listen, and how to make a memory of every second of life. because 30 years from now, your not going to have that big house on Gibbs Williams, or those grandparents to share stories with at 1 in the morning. all your going to have is those memories, and thats whats important.

2 comments:

  1. i feel the same way when i go to my grandmothers farmhouse. i always go and sit on my old swing set and daydream about where my life is and where it is heading. its weird how grandparents have an affect on you. :0)

    emili

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel about my grandparents lake house. I love everything about that 5 acre lakefront property with a little pod house that way to many people always filled. I too wonder now how my family and my unlces family with all 7 kids all slept on the living room floor. I love it there. When I get my license I will be down there frequently. The lake is so peaceful. I love to just sit on the dock and think about life. That place is pouring with memories. I get so emotional everytime they talk about selling it to move to dallas, I can't let it go. I want that peice of land to stay in mmy family forever.

    ReplyDelete